Etiquette



DP Etiquette

First rule: Don't be a jackass.

Other rules: Do not attack or insult people you disagree with. Engage with facts, logic and beliefs. Out of respect for others, please provide some sources for the facts and truths you rely on if you are asked for that. If emotion is getting out of hand, get it back in hand. To limit dehumanizing people, don't call people or whole groups of people disrespectful names, e.g., stupid, dumb or liar. Insulting people is counterproductive to rational discussion. Insult makes people angry and defensive. All points of view are welcome, right, center, left and elsewhere. Just disagree, but don't be belligerent or reject inconvenient facts, truths or defensible reasoning.

Saturday, November 5, 2022

HELP!

I keep hearing over and over how the Democrats don’t know how to message effectively. I personally can hear their messages loud and clear, but evidently, I’m in the minority.

The Democratic messages I see are: the continuing problem of wealth inequality; serious environmental concerns; heretofore freedoms being eroded (e.g., of pro-choice, voting access, religious impositions); the fair/commensurate taxing of those behemoths who pay zero in taxes; government funded higher education to lift all boats, like in other societal-learning European countries; affordable quality healthcare for all, not just the already wealthy and/or well-connected... I could go on.  But all in all, I’d call them positive constructive-type messages. Call me crazy.  This is what the Democratic Party currently stands for, to my knowledge. 

Now, to me, a biased Dem, those things seem like no-brainers.  They are conditions that, I would say, most regular, everyday people would be in favor of.

OTOH, the messages I see from the Republican side of the aisle are: let’s start with the Big Lie, a denial of/refusal to accept the 2020 election results in spite of 60+ court rulings, recounts, and audits verifying it; unregulated (running amok) capitalism; the favoring of getting rid of, or phasing out, the social safety nets such as Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security (and/or privatizing them for profit); climate change being a science hoax/scare and nothing to worry about; unaddressed (by their leaders) political violence and intimidation; “the other” is the enemy… I could go on.  But all in all, I’d call them negative destructive-type messages.  Call me crazy.  This is what the Republican Party currently stands for, to my knowledge. 

So, where are the Democrats going wrong with their supposed positive messaging to the masses?  What do the Republicans have that makes their negative messaging so much better/more effective?

Is it that negativity sells, and the Dems don’t get that?  Is it the Republican “me” over “we” mindset that’s the most important (a Republican “vote clincher”)?  Here’s a thought. Maybe the problem with the Democratic messaging is that their messages are not delivered with “attitude.”  Nowadays, attitude is everything. If you don’t have attitude, you’re considered boring, dull, no zip in your steps, no pizzazz. That can translate into loss of votes in a country where attitude, with all its glitz and glamour, are seemingly revered.

So, what’s the magic ingredient that the Democrats are politically missing?  Is it a lack of negativity?  Is it a lack of attitude?  Is it not enough “me” and way too much “we” nonsense?  Not enough urgency and panic in their voices?  Other?

Help me out here.  I know we’ve had this conversation before but tell me again what’s missing from the Democratic messaging, because it’s just not sinking in.  Am I the problem because I can see the bigger forest but not the dastardly trees that make it up?  What gives?? 🤷‍♀️ 

No comments:

Post a Comment