Etiquette



DP Etiquette

First rule: Don't be a jackass.

Other rules: Do not attack or insult people you disagree with. Engage with facts, logic and beliefs. Out of respect for others, please provide some sources for the facts and truths you rely on if you are asked for that. If emotion is getting out of hand, get it back in hand. To limit dehumanizing people, don't call people or whole groups of people disrespectful names, e.g., stupid, dumb or liar. Insulting people is counterproductive to rational discussion. Insult makes people angry and defensive. All points of view are welcome, right, center, left and elsewhere. Just disagree, but don't be belligerent or reject inconvenient facts, truths or defensible reasoning.

Saturday, February 17, 2024

Have you ever heard of Pascal’s Wager?

I first heard about that concept around 10-12 years ago.  It was back when I was blogging on BigThink.com and a blogger friend of mine, @kalqlate, said “That’s the best argument I’ve ever heard on Pascal’s Wager” (PW).  I had to look it up because I’d never heard of such a thing.

Now, I can’t exactly remember what I had said in my long explanation, but evidently, my “out of the mouths of babes” remark hit the bullseye, regarding PW.  I do, however, remember basically what I said.  It had to do with “buying religion insurance.”  I.e., just saying you believe in Jesus as your Savior in order to get into Heaven.

Yesterday I was commenting with our @larrymotuz about such “bargaining tactics.” Link: http://disq.us/p/2xq7ask

Okay, first a full Wikipedia link for Pascal’s Wager here.

Now the Questions:

  1. How do you feel about this PW concept? 
  2. If you are a believer (in some form/faction of Christianity), have you ever felt like you were just “taking out afterlife insurance?”

Make your cases.

(by PrimalSoup)

No comments:

Post a Comment