Etiquette



DP Etiquette

First rule: Don't be a jackass.

Other rules: Do not attack or insult people you disagree with. Engage with facts, logic and beliefs. Out of respect for others, please provide some sources for the facts and truths you rely on if you are asked for that. If emotion is getting out of hand, get it back in hand. To limit dehumanizing people, don't call people or whole groups of people disrespectful names, e.g., stupid, dumb or liar. Insulting people is counterproductive to rational discussion. Insult makes people angry and defensive. All points of view are welcome, right, center, left and elsewhere. Just disagree, but don't be belligerent or reject inconvenient facts, truths or defensible reasoning.

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Quick note on radical right intolerance of inconvenient free speech

 A couple of weeks ago, I commented to a moderator at the Conservatively Speaking blog, asking if I could comment there. I said I was a pragmatic rationalist and an independent, not a conservative. The mod said sure you can post here, as long as you are civil. A few minutes ago, I finally screwed up the emotional will-power to make a comment in response to a different mod's comment. The post, link here,  was about former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper lying about the Trump campaign-Russia collusion "hoax". When I wrote my comment and hit the Post as Germaine button I got this wonderful response:


I was banned! MAGA!!

My comment was this:

From what I can tell, lying is almost always protected free speech. That includes most lies by public officials, businesses, religious groups, etc. Also from what I can tell, these days, lying doesn't lead to hardly anyone's downfall. Who was the last politician to flame out because of lies? I can't recall, although there must have been some in the good old days when truth had some respect.
My comment was in response to this comment by the moderator Miss Jesse: 
Won't it be a glorious day when these liars finally get their comeuppance? They've always been the same. Generation after generation. Liars. But, these old tricks don't work any more. We're more savvy and have better information and ways to share it. Those old dogs can't learn new tricks. That will help lead to their downfall.
Welp, free speech fans, that now makes 9 out of 9 conservative sites that have banned evil Germaine for his respectful but inconvenient free speech. So when the radical right blithers about defending free speech, it is a load of crap. More lies from radical, tribal political ideologues who simply cannot handle inconvenient facts, truths and/or reasoning. I got banned for simply asking politely if I could comment.

Q: Is Germaine's canceled free speech track record impressive, or what?


I'm the champion!

No comments:

Post a Comment