Etiquette



DP Etiquette

First rule: Don't be a jackass.

Other rules: Do not attack or insult people you disagree with. Engage with facts, logic and beliefs. Out of respect for others, please provide some sources for the facts and truths you rely on if you are asked for that. If emotion is getting out of hand, get it back in hand. To limit dehumanizing people, don't call people or whole groups of people disrespectful names, e.g., stupid, dumb or liar. Insulting people is counterproductive to rational discussion. Insult makes people angry and defensive. All points of view are welcome, right, center, left and elsewhere. Just disagree, but don't be belligerent or reject inconvenient facts, truths or defensible reasoning.

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

When you get “prayed for”…

Hmm.  What does it mean when someone prays for you, and you don’t feel you are in need of any prayers?  How would you take it?  Case in point:


  • A gesture of good will in their eyes? (Definitely)
  • A request to their God (and that they want/need to inform me about) that He will help me/force me to see the(ir) light (see religion their way)? (Definitely)
  • An (overt) hint-hint wink-wink that I’m “messed up?” (Definitely)
  • A disrespect/diminishing of who I am, and have come to be, religiously/spiritually? (Definitely, but they don’t see it)

Seriously, I do not need prayers.  I already have a wonderful life and nothing is missing in it.  To pray for more something, anything, isn’t that kinda, well, selfish?

Q: So, what do you think about those who pray for you?  Do you ever get prayed for?  Do you pray for others?  Explain to me this prayer phenomenon, including the psychology of praying.

*Note- For the record, I just answered, “Thanks for thinking of me,” and let it go.  I don’t want to rock their boat.  But they just don’t see how such a statement can be rather insulting. 🤷‍

(by Primal “a Pantheist*” Soup)

____________________________________

*pantheism

noun

pan·​the·​ism ˈpan(t)-thē-ˌi-zə

My definition:

a doctrine that equates the “notion of God” with the processes, fundamental forces and Laws of Physics within our universe.  Existence itself is representative of the “God Notion/Process.”


No comments:

Post a Comment