Etiquette



DP Etiquette

First rule: Don't be a jackass.

Other rules: Do not attack or insult people you disagree with. Engage with facts, logic and beliefs. Out of respect for others, please provide some sources for the facts and truths you rely on if you are asked for that. If emotion is getting out of hand, get it back in hand. To limit dehumanizing people, don't call people or whole groups of people disrespectful names, e.g., stupid, dumb or liar. Insulting people is counterproductive to rational discussion. Insult makes people angry and defensive. All points of view are welcome, right, center, left and elsewhere. Just disagree, but don't be belligerent or reject inconvenient facts, truths or defensible reasoning.

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

The stigma of depression…

I see a lot of commercials on TV these days about depression, and medicine you can get to help stave it off.


I know I have mentioned this before here, but I have been taking generic Celexa (Citalopram) (10mgs per day), a medication for depression, for at least 25 years now, maybe longer.  


I was once overly sensitive about things I had absolutely no control over and that many would think was no big deal. I’d hear someone yelling at their kid and I’d have to leave the area, I couldn’t stand to be around it. I’d see a dead squirrel on the street and I’d start crying. It came to a point where I knew I needed to address it somehow.  I did so through medication. I’m in much better control of myself nowadays, I’d say thanks to that med.  If I go off of it, which I've tried, I get that "black cloud feeling" come over me again, after a few days.


I really have a great life, so it's nothing like that. It's the bigger world I'm talking about that can bring me down.


But I’ve got a question. Why is depression seen as a shortcoming?  I’d say it’s a rather normal thing, or should be.  Anyone who is not depressed about the state of the world is the one with the problem, IMO. 


Talk about the stigma of depression. 


  • Are you ever depressed?  If yes, what have you done about it? 
  • How do you deal with the cruelties and other evils of the world around you (e.g., ignore them, avoid them, pretend they’re not there, accept them and move on, find/get religion to lean on, don’t give a fuck about them...it’s not your problem, other)?


Give me some advice on the best way to deal with what I’d call “normal depression.” 


(by PrimalSoup)

No comments:

Post a Comment