Etiquette



DP Etiquette

First rule: Don't be a jackass.

Other rules: Do not attack or insult people you disagree with. Engage with facts, logic and beliefs. Out of respect for others, please provide some sources for the facts and truths you rely on if you are asked for that. If emotion is getting out of hand, get it back in hand. To limit dehumanizing people, don't call people or whole groups of people disrespectful names, e.g., stupid, dumb or liar. Insulting people is counterproductive to rational discussion. Insult makes people angry and defensive. All points of view are welcome, right, center, left and elsewhere. Just disagree, but don't be belligerent or reject inconvenient facts, truths or defensible reasoning.

Monday, August 7, 2023

Open politics-society-science-personal grievance thread

Unless I missed something, the news today is mostly repetition or repetition-adjacent. There's too much about DJT's machinations, lies and schemes to weasel out of his 1/6 treason lawsuit and milk the cult for cash to pay his legal bills. Meh, I'll pay more attention when something important happens.

I started reading Sources of the Self by the prominent philosopher Charles Taylor. I was looking for insight on morality, personal belief and behavior in modern advanced societies. But the book was too hard for me to comprehend. I had to set it aside. I suspect I could have learned a lot from that highly respected author. 

Now I'm reading Political Science for Dummies. That one is comprehensible. The first sentence of the book is, “Political science is the study of politics and more precisely power.” See, I told you to never lose track of where power flows in politics and policies. That was science and I didn't even know it. Social science to be more precise.

So, anything anyone wants to talk about?

No comments:

Post a Comment