Etiquette



DP Etiquette

First rule: Don't be a jackass.

Other rules: Do not attack or insult people you disagree with. Engage with facts, logic and beliefs. Out of respect for others, please provide some sources for the facts and truths you rely on if you are asked for that. If emotion is getting out of hand, get it back in hand. To limit dehumanizing people, don't call people or whole groups of people disrespectful names, e.g., stupid, dumb or liar. Insulting people is counterproductive to rational discussion. Insult makes people angry and defensive. All points of view are welcome, right, center, left and elsewhere. Just disagree, but don't be belligerent or reject inconvenient facts, truths or defensible reasoning.

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

If you were asked to be on the jury at a Trump trial

 I don't need to rehash everything that has been said about how impossible it will be to find an impartial juror for any of Trump's trials. But since the NY hush money case is the first to be tried, and jury selection has begun, let's use that one as an example.

I also don't need to rehash all the worries that all it will take is for one pro-Trumper to answer all the questions put to him or her in a manner that makes them acceptable only to be the one that hangs a jury.\

I instead gave the following questions a lot of thought and was prompted to those thoughts by a radio program I was listening this morning hosted by Michael Smerconish.

Let me ask the questions straight up without the political slant.

1. Do you have strong feelings one way or another about the guilty or innocence of charges against Trump, before hearing the evidence or taking part in the trial?

2. Do you have strong personal feelings about Trump, whether for or against, that would disqualify you from being an impartial juror?

3. Regardless of your personal feelings about the charges or about Trump, whether for or against, could you nevertheless render a verdict SOLELY based on the evidence presented at trial and the instructions given to you by the judge?

4. Are you impartial towards the charges and Trump himself. Are you neither for or against the charges or Trump. Are you going into this trial with a  totally impartial view and so are not tainted by personal feelings about the charges or about Trump?

Here is how I would have answered - to the best of my ability.

1. I think the hush money charges are rather weak so I have an already preconceived notion. But I am nevertheless willing to listen to the evidence.

2. I detest the man, but do not believe my detestation would disqualify me. I feel I could put my personal dislike of the man aside.

3. I believe I COULD render the verdict SOLELY based on the evidence and the judge's instructions. Even if it means that my verdict is in conflict with my personal feelings. I believe I could follow the evidence and the law. 

4. I am not impartial. I have strong feelings that may or may not guide how I react to the trial. So my answer here is NO, I am not impartial but hope I can perform my duty as juror as explained in my answer #3.

I suspect on those answers I would be disqualified but I would look at those answers and consider the person giving those answers as at least being honest and I would be tempted to accept them as a juror.

AND NO, I am not saying that to toot my own horn, but to raise the question: How would YOU answer those questions, and what answers would YOU find acceptable in accepting a juror?


No comments:

Post a Comment