Etiquette



DP Etiquette

First rule: Don't be a jackass.

Other rules: Do not attack or insult people you disagree with. Engage with facts, logic and beliefs. Out of respect for others, please provide some sources for the facts and truths you rely on if you are asked for that. If emotion is getting out of hand, get it back in hand. To limit dehumanizing people, don't call people or whole groups of people disrespectful names, e.g., stupid, dumb or liar. Insulting people is counterproductive to rational discussion. Insult makes people angry and defensive. All points of view are welcome, right, center, left and elsewhere. Just disagree, but don't be belligerent or reject inconvenient facts, truths or defensible reasoning.

Friday, March 27, 2020

A “moral imperative” or just the “American way of life?”


Well, I have another personal story to share. :(

I tell you, while I don’t dare say anything to them, in order to keep peace in the family, I’m so disappointed in my so-called “highly educated” step-sons/daughters-in-law (all four have bachelor’s degrees, one has a master’s degree).  All four are devout Christians and Republicans (read still Trump) supporters.  Three of them have an outside-the-home job and one is a home school teacher—granted, she does have credentials for that.  Their ages are 47, 54, 54, & 56.  I.e., they are not unthinking, fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants “kids” anymore.

Yesterday, I was again included in on a text msg between the two families.  Here’s a screen-shot with some redactions.  And btw, one of the families has an 80-ish year old mother living in their residence:


A few questions:

-While I can completely understand necessary trips outside the home (doctor, pharmacy, hopefully curb-side pickup at the grocery store), when a person is literally being paid to stay home and out of the public domain, is there not an ethical duty, a moral imperative, to follow that statewide order? 

-And as practicing Christians, isn’t that moral responsibility even more pronounced?

-As offspring of an aging parent/step-parent (their dad and me), what does that say about lack of deference to (especially seniors’) health concerns?

-Are such non-compliant people part of the larger coronavirus problem, rather than any part of the solution?

-As I so often wonder, is it just me who’s all effed up?? :(

Please explain my stepkids’ mindsets to me, as I don’t get it.


No comments:

Post a Comment